Sunday, August 7, 2022

SF and 70 and a Marathon - Part I





Thursday July 21


I got up at 3, ate a waffle, drank some coffee. By 4:30 we were out the door. We used Parknfly for a change. Being gone for 6 days it was right on the border between Uber or parking being cheaper, and Parknfly was cheaper than parking at the airport. Also getting an Uber that early was kind of iffy. Parknfly was great. Lots of shuttles and they pick you up right at your car.


The airport was busy but not insane, although it was the longest TSA Pre line I’ve ever seen. 20 minutes for TSA Pre. But we had lots of time.


When they announced that they would be boarding soon I cancelled my backup fully refundable flight that I bought in case our flight was cancelled. I’m relieved that I will be getting my money back! We also ended up gate-checking our bags.


Because our tickets were just basic economy we couldn’t select our seats until check-in so we weren’t sitting together and we both had middle seats. But it was ok. I got settled, got out my crochet, and I was good.


Later I watched Encanto. The animation was beautiful and the music was great. The plot was a little confusing but hey it’s Disney, I just needed to suspend my powers of logic a little bit.


Daniel picked us up when we landed in San Francisco. I immediately needed a sweater. 60F instead of 80F and much lower humidity!


We grabbed Kelsey and went over to Protero to Plow for brunch. Lemon ricotta pancakes, potatoes, 2 eggs, avocado! Yummy!


I took a nap in the afternoon and we got carry out for dinner from a Burmese place. I made it to 8 pm, barely.


Friday July 22


Happy birthday to me. 70, that’s old! I slept til 5:45 AM, pretty good after a 2 hour time change! I woke up at 3, but said NOPE! And fell back asleep.


I ate some oatmeal and half a bagel. I had 4 easy miles to run. It was 50F with a dew point of 51. I took it very easy, but even so I was over a minute faster than I’ve been in Minnesota, slogging through the heat and humidity.





When I got back to the apartment I jumped in the shower, and when I got out they had bought me treats, a sour cherry biscuit, a chocolate croissant, a baguette with goat cheese. Then we went to see a new park in the Presidio, Tunnel Hill Park. It was neat, lots of new plants, a massive playground, paths on a hill over the tunnel leading to the Golden Gate bridge. 





Then we went over to the race expo at the Fort Mason pavilion. It was a small expo as these things go. I mainly wanted to get my bib, buy a jacket or a hoodie and a commemorative pint glass. Oh, and grab any free stuff that appealed to me!


And of course I had to get my picture taken!





Saturday July 23rd


Last night we went to Lazy Bear for my birthday. It’s a very very very nice restaurant in SF, lots of local ingredients, some actually foraged. It was a lot of small courses, each one beautifully prepared, often with a little story. The sommelier gave us a lot of individual attention. We didn’t want to do the wine pairing because it was crazy expensive, and a lot of alcohol, so we settled on a bottle of champagne and then we all went our separate ways, with the others getting their favorite cocktails and me getting a glass of port with the dessert courses. They gave you a little book in which to take notes, and I managed to take a picture of each course. The results follow.


First Course:






Second Course:



 



Third Course:



Fourth course:



Fifth Course:




Sixth Course:



Seventh Course:



Eighth Course:




Ninth course:









Tenth course:




Eleventh Course:








Twelth Course:





Blackberry Cobbler:










Treats:






At the end they gave us “breakfast” to take home - a mini loaf of banana bread and a bottle of cold brew coffee. And they gave me a birthday card signed by the entire staff! 



Thank you so much Daniel and Kelsey! What an amazing birthday present!!!


We were so very stuffed by the end. Daniel, Kelsey and Lee had bought me a darling birthday cake, and we did gather the strength to sing happy birthday when we got back to the apartment but we couldn’t face eating it until today.





In the morning I lazed around and then finally went on my little 30 minute shakeout run. It was colder, and windy too. I ran to Oracle Park, the Giant’s stadium, and back, about 2 1/2 miles. Very easy running, a little slower than yesterday but still much faster than usual.


We’re not doing much of anything today. We went to Trader Joe’s, and to look at potential chairs for D&K’s new dining room table, then walked to Super Burger for lunch. We brought it back to the apartment to eat because it was too chilly to sit outside. And I finally tried a piece of my bd cake. Yummy! I think I might have some now, with some of that cold brew coffee. Or maybe a nap first…..



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...