Saturday, May 28, 2022

Hawaii - April 24th Wedding Day!





Sunday April 24th - The Day of the Wedding!


Sunday morning we packed up and left our Airbnb and moved to our hotel for the wedding. We hoped for an early checkin, and we got it. Sarah and I had hair and makeup at 11:45 in Kelsey’s  room. Their room was crazy! Dan said it was as big as their apartment and it certainly was close.


Joanne Getting Her Makeup Done



We hurried over and it was very nice. We had something to eat, a little champagne and then got our makeup done. She gave me false eyelashes and I’m still not sure what I think of that. I guess I’ll have to see what the pictures look like. They feel weird at first but then I got used to them, mostly.


The woman that did my hair said I had a good haircut. I’ll have to tell Jacquie! Sarah went back to their room to help put the boys down for a nap but I stayed until Joanne’s makeup was finished. It was after 2 by the time we went back to our room, but we had a little while to decompress before it was time to get dressed and head back across the street for pictures at 3:45.


As part of getting our pictures taken, Jeanne, me, and Joanne all got flower leis. I was delighted; I've never had a lei before! Lee and Craig also got leis, with red flowers and leaves instead of the big white flowers that women get. They looked pretty cool.


After pictures it was time to go over to the venue. All our guests sat down, and we all lined up to get ready to go down the aisle. First Lee and I led the way, then Daniel, the groomsmen, and the bridesmaids. Then it was time for Leo and Kirby. Sarah led them to the aisle, pointed to where they were supposed to go, and scurried around the side to her seat. They were on their own. They looked down the aisle saw all the friendly faces, held each other’s hands and did it! I can’t tell you how proud I was of Leo, and Kirby too. It was a big deal for Leo. It took a lot of courage for him to do that. They were incredibly cute and I can’t wait to see the pictures.


Leo, Kirby and the Flower Girl



Then the flower girl, tossing the rose petals, and then Kelsey with her mom and dad. Kelsey’s dress was so spectacular. She looked incredibly happy and her parents were a little misty eyed. So were we.


The ceremony was pretty sweet. They explained the Japanese, Hawaiian and Jewish symbols, said their vows, kissed. Husband and wife! Gosh, Daniel has found himself such a wonderful girl.


We were herded outside onto the patio for the cocktail hour. They had wine and beer, and several different cocktails available. And lots and lots of hor droves. Every time I turned around something different was going by. I tried a lot of them, but I’m sure I missed some.


Leo, Kirby and the flower Girl were busy cleaning up the rose petals


Then it was time for the reception, in another part of the hotel. Kirby insisted on walking down all three flights of stairs, which held us up including all the people behind him and then the people in front of us had disappeared and we weren’t positive where to go, but we figured it out. 





A very large room with big tables. We sat at a table with all our family members. First there was a salad then the main courses, either fish, meat or a vegan option. It wasn't as good as Roy’s but it was still delishous. The dessert was REALLY good, however!


Amy, Lee, Daniel, Kelsey, Mark



Then it was time for the toasts. First a speech by the maid of honor and then one by Daniel Tse, Daniel’s best man. Wow, Daniel Tse’s speech was pretty amazing, very complementary to our Daniel, as a friend and as a person. They have known each other since daycare at the CDL, so that is just really special. Then the MC got us all in the mood, waving our napkins in circles above our heads. 




Mary, Cathy and Sam



Next came the bonszai toasts by two of Kelsey’s Uncles, a Japanese-Hawaiian thing. They are short toasts in Japanese, one to honor the parents (us) and one to honor the bride and groom.


Then Daniel and I danced, to James Taylor of course. Daniel said “I may fall asleep,” and it took me a second and then I laughed. And he was a nice dance partner, very easy to dance with. Then Kelsey and her dad danced to a Hawaiian song, and then the party really began. But first Kirby and Leo had to warm up the dance floor to Lizzo. Ha.


There were lots of fun activities, including a photo booth, 







a guest book with a Polaroid camera. They had the skyline of San Francisco made with the 1001 golden cranes that Kelsey folded on display.





The younger folks were dancing to songs I hadn't heard before, so I spent my time talking to family and friends. Eventually it was time to go back to our hotel room.  It was 11 before I turned out the light. So crazy, and so wonderful!




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...