Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Coronavirus Diary - May 7th - 15th




May 7

I’m not writing in here as much since we started babysitting for Leo. There are plenty of other things going on but I still feel like I need to be circumspect. I finished all my masks and dropped them off at a hospital. I felt uneasy and curious just being anywhere near a hospital. I put on my mask. There was a tent outside that I think was where people could be tested, although it was unoccupied. As I entered the designated entrance there was employee in full protective garb sitting in the entry. I handed her my plastic bag full of masks and left. No big deal. 

I’ve been weeding in the front wildflower bed. Its in much better shape than it was this time last year. There are even some strawberries with bright pink blossoms that are already blooming. We’re going to get a frost or two this weekend and early next week. I hope things don’t get damaged. It doesn’t sound like its going to be a hard freeze so it should be ok.

On Monday Leo came over. Lee had a project to do with him, making decorated totes for Mother’s Day. It was Leo’s job to use his hand prints to make petals for the flowers on the bags. At first he didn’t want to, but then we bribed him with Reeses and then he was very willing! He also painted a bunch of pictures using different colors and brushes. He had a great time and made an immense amount of art.

In the afternoon we went on a short walk. He collected a lot of rocks, and dirt, and finally large pieces of asphalt. 



On Tuesday I went over to Sarah’s for the day because Lee had a day long conference call. We mostly just hung out, admired Kirby, who seems very strong and advanced for a one month old baby! He works hard in tummy time, just keeps trying to push up, even though he’s not really strong enough yet. And if he’s on his back, and awake, he kicks and twists and turns and has actually turned himself on to his side! He’s such a good baby, it seems like he only cries if he’s hungry, although that is quite frequent!




Sarah wanted to make the crackers in the Paul Reinhart bread cookbook. They came out really good, although we could have rolled them out a little thinner. She made a double recipe and I ran out of counter space!

Now Leo is calling Lee Peepaw, at least sometimes.

May 9

Yesterday Sarah wanted to know if we would like to go to a park and take a walk after Leo’s nap. Lee couldn’t go cause he had to work, but I went and took the dogs too. The dogs were very excited to go on a walk in a new place. Poor things, I know they get bored going on the same old walks. Sarah wore Kirby and Leo walked. He found sticks and dug in the sand, looked at flowers, got mad cause the rule is he has to hold our hand when we go past people. it wasn’t too crowded. Leo walked Heather for probably half the walk. She likes to go slow and is very compliant, so there was no worry that she was going to run off or anything! The only time I took over is if we saw another dog. She usually doesn’t react but I didn’t want to take a chance.

He calls all dogs Mika, but by the end he was calling her Heather. We worked on the correct commands (don’t tell her to stop if she’s not doing what you want. Tell her to do what you want her to do. So, say walk if you want her to walk, or come if you want her to come). He understood, but its hard to remember that in the heat of the moment, I know!



May 13th. Wednesday.

We had Mother’s Day at our house on Sunday. Suzanne and Kris came over. That’s the extent of our bubble. Leo gave all the mom’s the totes he made. He gave us cards that he finger-painted. We had a wonderful brunch with homemade bagels, vegan chorizo hash, fruit salad and Bloody Mary’s or mimosa’s. 

On Monday we watched Leo for the day. It was fun, as usual, but he didn’t take a nap, so I took the long way back when I took him home and he slept in the car for a good hour. 

Yesterday Sarah came over for the day. She had some work to do so we watched Kirby as well as Leo off and on. He is such a good baby, but he’s not taking a bottle yet. He’s only 6 weeks old. She had a call from 10 to 11 and another from 11 to noon. He slept for the first hour. Then Lee had a work call too and I was on my own with the two kids for an hour. For the first half hour it was easy. Kirby slept in his portable bassinet while Leo played. Then Kirby got hungry and woke up. He really was good, but he was getting increasingly sad. It was hard to comfort him and keep an eye on Leo too. But Sarah rescued me before things got too out of hand.

Its lots of fun to just do mundane things around the house with Leo’s help. We put mineral oil on the soapstone counter together. He had his own cloth and worked hard on rubbing it into the stone to make it pretty. Then we fed the sourdough starter. He loves anything to do with cooking. THEN we emptied the trash cans. I gave him his own bag and he was very into that too.

Lee made Vietnamese meatballs, rice and a salad for lunch. Leo loved the meatballs. He ate two of them right off and then wanted another but I told him he had to eat some rice first. So he kind of made a mess of pretending to eat some rice. The kid has a sense of humor! I think some of it actually went in his mouth so he got a third meatball out of the deal. 

And he took a very good nap too. All in all a nice day, although again by the end of the day I was trashed. That could have had something to do with waking up at 4 in order to have enough time to run, however!



May 15th. Friday.

The past few days I’ve been on a few easy runs, weeded my wildflowers, peered at the bluebells that are starting to come up. We got 3 trees from the City of Shorewood that were delivered yesterday. We put them in the shade on the side of the garage until our landscaper comes and helps us decide where they should go and plant them. A willow that will go near the rain garden. A choke cherry, and a river birch that I would like to use a an accent tree somewhere in the front.

Its absolutely beautiful out, highs in the low 70’s, sunny.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...