Saturday, March 3, 2018

February in Florida 2018




Our first full day in Florida is devoted to getting organized, checking out the resort, running errands, getting a pedicure and then later putting jamberry palm trees on my nails.




Then on Saturday it’s time for my first Florida long run, 15 miles in 50 to 60 degrees. It’s perfect running weather, although I can tell my heart is a bit elevated toward the end. I just need to get acclimated.

On Sunday February 4th, I go on a bike ride, starting to work my way across the Courtney Campbell Causeway again. I go 11.5 miles; next time I’ll do a little more. In the afternoon we take the dogs to the Enterprise Dog Park. Went for a nice off leash stroll, ran around the agility equipment. Cosmo listened and stayed out of the mud puddles.



Then we went to Starbucks and sat outside in the sunshine while Lee drank a lemonade infused tea that was very complicated to order, and I inhaled an iced mocha. On the way back to the house I stopped at the Chamber of a Commerce and got Lee something for Valentine’s Day, a T-shirt and a book about the history of Safety Harbor. 




This morning was the first time I felt like I needed to get up a little early to run. It was in the upper 60’s and I could definitely feel it. I’m getting organized to bake bread on Monday. And I actually worked on my embroidery for the first time since November.

On Thursday the Jones came to visit. Thursday evening we walked around town and had bbq chicken for dinner. On Friday we got sandwiches at the  convenience store deli and drove to Phillipe Park for a picnic. We walked along the shore and saw a bunch of dolphins. We walked up the Indian mound and down to the owl’s nest. I brought my telephoto lens so I was able to get some pictures of the owlet. 




Later we got in the car again and drove over to Kapok Park. We saw lots of birds, a bunch of ibises, turtles and a baby gator.




In the evening we went back to Whistle Stop for dinner. It’s kinda our place, at least when Lee doesn’t feel like cooking!


Sunday Feb 11th I run 16 miles, first 8 miles easy, then 6 miles @ marathon pace, then 2 miles easy. It’s in the low 70s, muggy. The first 8 are harder than the rest of the run. The humidity drops when the sun rises. I start at 5:15 am and the first two hours are dark. I see almost no one until the sun comes up. I have my headlamp but it’s spooky. I start worrying about alligators so when I get home I look it up. A) don’t go in or near the water. Duh. B) be especially careful during breeding season but that’s May in Florida so I’m good there. C) if you come upon an alligator on land RUN AWAY! They can’t go that fast on land. I feel better now.

On Tuesday Feb 13th we have lunch at Barfly. They have moved into the building across from the spa. The breeze was nice, the food ok. In the morning I did a track workout at the middle school: 4x 1 mile at 10k pace. Tough! It was nice to see a couple of sandhill cranes though as I circled around the track. I’m glad I brought the bird books with me this year. I brought my old North American Field Guide one from my college days, but also Stoke’s, the one Catherine gave me several years ago. I was able to accurately identify the cranes more easily with Stoke’s so I guess I’m a convert.




Wednesday Feb 14th is Valentines Day. We get each other T-shirt’s, Running Grandma and John Lennon for me, Safety Harbor for Lee, plus the History of Safety Harbor book for Lee. I already got beautiful roses a couple days ago. We go to Green Springs Bistro for dinner. We have to wait for our table at the bar which is fine but then they sit us right next to the kitchen! Why? There’s lots of empty tables. We should have said something, and next time we should ask to sit in the back. The same guy singing and playing guitar that’s always there. The food is fine, but not memorable.

On Thursday we go to the beach at Honeymoon Island State Park. Its not as spectacular as Clearwater but it’s also not nearly as crowded. It’s nice. The water is cold, but after sitting in the sun for awhile it feels good on my feet and calves.




On Saturday we go to the Dunedin farmers market. They’re having one of their craft festivals so it’s insanely crowded. There’s lots of development going on in Dunedin, maybe too much. It’s a nice town and you don’t want to spoil its natural charm. We get bagels and not much else.

We go to Marker 39 for dinner. We sit outside, it’s nice except for the smokers at the next table, but they leave before our main course comes. It takes a lonnng time to come, but the food as awesome. I get the soft shell crap app plus a salad and a side of their hash browned sweet potatoes with bacon. They accidentally bring me the entree which has two crabs but only charge me for the app so it’s cool. That way Lee can eat as much as he wants of it. He gets the short ribs which are really good, too. I want to go there for brunch!


Monday is my day off from running and cross training. Running day offs are necessary but Monday makes me feel like such a slug, although physically I’ve got to do it, I get tired. I’m kind of dreading tomorrow’s run because of the heat and the hill repeats. They are tough, but not nearly as bad as the anxiety about them.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...