Monday 9/14
Lee and I both agreed that this year the drive seemed exceptionally long. Maybe it was all the construction on Hwy 61. Maybe it was being cognizant of the incoming rain and hoping to beat it, which we did. Anyway, we were very glad to finally arrive.
When we checked in I asked if they had any sites with full hookups available and they did so we grabbed one. It’s very nice to have a sewer hookup and not worry about filling up the dark water tank. Also very nice for Lee to not have to deal with the dump station after we leave.
We had lots of time to get set up and take Sophie on a nice long walk before the rain started. It had been following us all day from Minneapolis. By the time we were ready to go to dinner however it was raining hard.
We had appropriate clothing but we still got pretty damp walking the half mile to The Angry Trout. We didn’t mind though and had a glass of wine while waiting for our table. We got wild rice fritters and then we both got a cup of soup. I got the chowder and Lee got their soup of the day which was Korean tofu. His was spicy, but they were both good. Then I got a side of the fish of the day, Lake Superior herring. I got it when we were here 3 years ago and it was delicious.
Now we’re hanging out in the RV listening to the rain pitter patter loudly on the roof. It’s supposed to rain until around 2 am and then get windy and cold(er). No more rain though!
Tuesday Sept 15
As the rain stopped the wind picked up. I got up around 5:30 am, ate breakfast and was generally lazy until I was ready to go for a bike ride. I was afraid it would be wet and gloomy but no, just very windy. It started out overcast but it wasn’t long until the sun came out and it was just beautiful out!
It’s such a nice bike trail. I wish it was longer. Someday. It’s not easy, almost 500’ of elevation gain in 10 miles, long inclines. The way back was faster, more downhills and the wind was at my back mostly.
When I got back to the RV Lee and Sophie were gone. They went mushroom hunting. I changed out of my biking clothes and just hung out, crocheting, reading, playing with my phone. They got back around noon. They had fun but no mushrooms of any consequence.
Around 1:30 we walked into town for coffee and then walked around a little. Way too windy to walk along the sea wall, we would have gotten drenched.
Wednesday September 16
At 4 Sophie and I went on another walk, this time around the campground and the smaller loop on the little Sweetheart hiking trail.
We had steak, baked potatoes, lettuce and tomatoes with blue cheese crumbles for dinner. After dinner I suggested we walk over to the Lake to watch the sunset, when we got there it already set, or that’s what it looked like. It was a little before 7 and it wasn’t supposed to set until 7:15. But we couldn’t see exactly west; that was obscured by a point. So I’m planning on going up the Sweetheart trail with Sophie again today and see if we might get a better view there.
This morning was much colder (low 40’s) but the wind was calm. After breakfast I hopped on my bike and rode the Gitchi Gami trail again, trying to improve my time over yesterday, which I did. That trail is such a workout!
Thursday September 17.
Yesterday continued.
At the end of my ride yesterday I continued into town. My idea was to get a donut but the donut place really is closed so I got a muffin at Java Moose instead, and gobbled it up as soon as I got back to the camper.
When I got back Lee and Sophie were off mushroom hunting again. They came back while I was taking my shower. I spent a lot of time relaxing, reading, crocheting. At 1 pm we went into town for coffee.
Later Sophie and I went for our afternoon walk. I wanted to try to do the overlook Loop from the Sweetheart Trail and see if I could do it without getting lost. So we did it counterclockwise and it worked. It isn’t long but it’s very tough, lots of climbing and clambering over rocks. Sophie managed all of it except one place where I lifted her up. She probably could have done it on her own but I didn’t want to take a chance.
After dinner we went on a sunset walk again. I figured out a place where we could actually see west but unfortunately clouds had rolled in and there wasn’t much of a sunset. Still pretty though.
This morning I took Sophie on her morning walk so Lee could hook the trailer to the truck and we could start on our way home. We’re going to stop at Split Rock Lighthouse State Park on the way.
…..
We are home now. We did stop at Split Rock on the way. I’m so glad we did! We opted for just entering the State Park, going on a short walk and admiring the view. Then we were on our way.
We really do love Grand Marais, even if it is a very long drive. The next time we go back I might take the car and drive to a different section of the Gitchi Gami bike trail. And Lee says he might go fishing!
No comments:
Post a Comment