Friday, March 29, 2024

Meeting Emi - California March 2024 Part IV




Saturday March 2


On Thursday after that immense breakfast we didn’t really need much lunch. We walked down to a deli and ordered sandwiches for the drive back to PA on Friday. I got a 1/2 sandwich and a cup of soup. I ate the soup right then and that was my lunch.


Then a couple hours later we walked down to the shore and got affogatos. That was my afternoon coffee! Then we walked along the shore one last time, visited the seals and sea lions, walked back up the coastal walk. It was another beautiful day. There were people swimming in the ocean without wetsuits, way out there too, so a long way. I don’t know how they do it, the water temperature was 59F!


That evening we went over to La Jolla Shores for dinner. We met Daniel Tse and Holly at The Sandpiper Grille and Oyster Bar. It was fun to see them one more time before we leave and the food was good too.


Friday morning we were on the road by 8:30. We made good time; avoided most traffic through LA, so that was lucky. We stopped outside Bakersfield for lunch at a rest stop. We had just gone over the mountains, and were still at 4,000 ft so it was chilly. We ate in the car and then were on our way. The temps rose to almost 70F while we were in the valley and then dropped again by the time we got close to Palo Alto. We made good time, our rental car got great gas mileage so we hardly had to stop for gas, and eating sandwiches at a rest stop was a lot faster than going to InandOut, in spite of the name!


We stopped in the area where we are thinking of renting a house next year, in Mountain View. We’re not going to go to San Diego; we’ll stay around Palo Alto instead. We might need to take another small vacation earlier in the winter to someplace warm, because Palo Alto isn’t very warm. This year has been bizarre though. It’s 45F in Palo Alto this morning and the high in Minnesota is supposed to be 70F! That’s crazy.



Sunday March 3


Yesterday I had to wear tights and a warmer long sleeved shirt to run. It was 45F! I wore little gloves too, but just a ball cap. I was fine. Palo Alto is so flat compared to La Jolla. They’ve continued to get lots of rain. I saw a mama duck and her babies in one of the canals.


We went to Shake Shack for lunch. I was craving a burger, and a wanted a shake too, just not a whole shake so Lee split it with me. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been to Shake Shack before. It was pretty good.


After that we were mostly lazy, except Emi. She’s suddenly learned to roll from tummy to  back. She did it like 5 times on Saturday and a couple of time today already as well. It depends if we put her in tummy time with her hands closer to her body. If they are spread out she can’t quite manage it yet. She keeps trying though! She kicks those cubby legs and tries to fling them over. If she moves her head and her leg at the same time then over she goes. She looks pretty pleased when it happens but she needs to stay in tummy time too to get a stronger core. That’s the trouble with babies sleeping on their backs. But it’s certainly better than dying from SIDS.


In the afternoon we tried to go for a short walk in-between rain storms, but it started raining again right as we went out the door. Everyone else bowed out but I grabbed an umbrella and went for a short walk. Rossi would have come with me but they didn’t want her getting all wet. It actually stopped after about 20 minutes.


For dinner we went to a place in Menlo Park called Camper. It was modern Italian, different and good. We shared a salad and their herb cornbread. Then Lee and Kelsey got their ragu and Daniel and I got an interesting pasta with gnocchi, ricotta, broccolini and interesting flavors. Dan and I were both a little taken aback when it came out because it looked like a fancy salad but as I said to Dan, it tasted a lot better than it looked. Then we shared an apple tart for dessert, which was fabulous!


This is our last day. One last run, pho for lunch and Lee is making dinner.


I tried to figure out how to download The Queen’s Gambit so I could watch it on the plane but alas, unless you have the app it’s not possible. So I downloaded it on my phone and I guess I’ll watch it there.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...