Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Florida 2023 January 1-7: Columbia-Nashville-Georgia-Disney





Sunday January 1


Lee and I have both been sick, me with some cold/flu/gastrointestinal thing; Lee with 24 hours of what was probably a norovirus. All day Saturday we tough it out getting packed and the RV loaded. By Sunday, New Years Day, we are better, and ready to go.


We shorten our driving sessions to give ourselves more rest, even though it means taking more time. Minnesota is cold and snowy, but as we drive through Iowa and then Missouri the snow disappears and it gets warmer, almost 50F by the time we get to Columbia!


This is a long day of driving, close to 9 hours with all the stops. We won’t do another day this long. We park the RV in front of Joanne’s old house even though she has moved out. We use her electricity and borrow a hose from Mark and Mary so we have water too.


Harper starts doing her shaking and shivering act, but I take them on a walk and then put CBD in her dinner and she does eventually calm down. It would be great if she would get over this RV phobia. We are all tired. We eat some leftovers and fall into bed


Monday Jan 2


We are spending the day in Columbia. I actually feel well enough to run for the first time in almost a week. I ran almost 5 miles and feel good. Still a little shaky though. Then we go visit Joanne at her new apartment. It’s really nice and she has decorated it beautifully. I’m impressed by how she managed she select some of her things for a much smaller space. Unfortunately she is having an episode with her horrible headaches. They are not migraines but something much worse. We saw her have 3 episodes while we were visiting and it was pretty awful. I feel really bad for her, especially since doctors don’t seem to know what to do to help her.


We had Subshop for lunch and then went out to visit Mary in the afternoon. It was nice just sitting around talking for awhile. We don’t get to visit nearly often enough. This evening we’re having carryout from Murry’s for dinner. No Shakespeare’s this time.


Tuesday January 3


Long uneventful day except for one thing. The housekeepers came today. Erika calls me, “Lynn the door to the house is locked”. Omg! I’m so stupid! I was trying to be safe but totally forgot that they would have no way to get in. And Melissa can’t water the plants either. What a mess. Lee insists that Sarah has a key but Sarah can’t find it and has no memory of getting one either. There’s nothing we can do about it. The housekeepers come again the day after we get home, and I watered the plants right before I left. Ugh though, so dumb.


Illinois, Kentucky Tennessee. I couldn’t help but think about the last time we passed this way, going home with Covid nipping at our heels. It was mid March of 2020 and we were just beginning to realize how bad this was. I’m sure we would have been shocked to find out that Covid would still be around in 2023 and we would be learning to live with it.


Wednesday January 4


I ran up and down the roads in the RV park this morning for a little over 4 miles. I’m feeling almost back to normal but it’s anyone’s guess what the marathon will be like. The weather looks great. Cold at the start, warmer toward the end, so I shouldn’t dilly dally on the course too long. I’ll just jog along and enjoy the fun!


Another uneventful drive, until the very end. We were at a gas station and as Lee was turning to pull next to a pump the awning on the RV caught on some ladders that were sticking out behind a truck. It ripped the awning and tore the entire mechanism off the RV! I was in the bathroom when it happened and when I came out it was just hanging off the RV with Lee trying to remove it completely so we could continue on. He managed to get it off, and we’ll be fine without the awning for a month but it’s going to be an expensive repair. Thank goodness for insurance! He was upset to say the least.


Another nice RV park in the wilds of Georgia south of Atlanta. Atlanta traffic is always terrible. This time it wasn’t too bad, no accidents at least, just rush hour traffic. Florida tomorrow!






Saturday Jan 7


The Fort Wilderness campsites are very nice. Lee was happy. Concrete slab, very level, easy setup. It’s been relatively chilly for Florida, 50’s and 60’s. The Floridians think it’s cold, ha, but it was really nice for going to the parks yesterday. As soon as the truck was disconnected I drove over to the Expo to get my bib and race shirt. I looked around but didn’t see anything I had to have. No pint glasses so they saved me from myself. I need sunscreen but I’ll just stop at a medical tent during the race.





Yesterday we went to Animal Kingdom in the morning. We met Amy D there. It was so wonderful to see her! Big hugs and smiles! We had to take the dogs to daycare first so couldn’t get there as early as we would have hoped and couldn’t get on Avatar, or even the Pandora River ride. But we could do the Safari and Lee really liked it. Then we walked through Gorilla Falls and saw more animals. The gorillas were great. Then we rode Dinosaur, which is as close to a roller coaster as Lee will get!





Then it was time for lunch at Tuskers. It wasn’t nearly as good as I remembered, but it was fine, and the characters were adorable.





Then Lee was fighting a cold and feeling tired so he went back to the RV and Amy and I went to Magic Kingdom. A very different vibe from AK, more open, less frenetic. We had lightening passes for Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean, my two nostalgic favorites. There are both funny and entertaining and bring back memories of 90’s Disney.


Then we took the boat across the lake back to Fort Wilderness. That in itself was really nice. Lee met us as the Fort Wilderness dock and took us back to the RV and Amy hung out with us for awhile. 


I’ve caught Lee’s cold which sucks. I still went for a shakeout run. I felt ok, not terrible, not amazing. It was supposed to be 3 miles but I got lost. At one point a Disney employee, er I mean cast member, stopped me and asked me what I was doing and told me I was in a restricted area. I told him I was lost but he didn’t seem capable of telling where I needed to go. He mostly wanted to yell at me and make sure I was properly remorseful for missing the sign. I eventually had to call Lee to get directions back. I ended up doing 4 miles, but that’s ok.Then I did laundry at the very high tech laundromat. Pay by credit card, start electronically and use an app to monitor your machines! They sent me a text when they were finished. 


We’ve taken it easy all afternoon. I took about a 45 minute nap. Lee is making me pasta for dinner. I’ll probably be in bed by 7:30. Up at 2 tomorrow morning!





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...