Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Daniel and Kelsey Visit Minnesota


Uncle Dan


Dan arrives on a Thursday in early September. It’s perfect timing; we pick him up at the airport and then go pick up Leo at daycare. Instant Leo time for Uncle Dan! We hang out with Leo at Sarah’s house until she gets off of work, then we head for home in Waconia. Dan is tired and we all crash early. The next morning Kelsey’s flight gets in very early, 6 am. The boys go get her and I go run. She and Dan go back to sleep for awhile. It’s crazy hot for September, but they don’t really mind, since summers are so cool in San Francisco, but we’re sick of it. 

Daniel, Kelsey and Friends


Everyone but me goes to play with Leo. They try out a brewery and then go for a walk. But I’m busy; I have challah and brisket to make, so I don’t join them until later. We are going to celebrate Rosh Hashona tomorrow. We’re a week late but we are all together and that’s what’s important.  

The recipe I use for the challah says that it can make either one loaf or two. I decide to make one large loaf and boy it really is large. I think next time two loaves would be a better idea.

The Ginormous Challah


Once the challah and the brisket are done I go over to Sarah’s.  When I get there they are just getting back from their walk. Leo fell asleep in the stroller so Sarah and I walk him around the block again so he can get a few more zzzzs. He’s given up his third nap and has been struggling with naps in general but sleeps great at night.

Saturday I’m doing the rest of the cooking for our Jewish New Year feast. Lee makes apple dumplings. I make the kugel, green beans and fruit salad. I put the brisket back in the oven to heat up and cook a little more. I say the blessings over the wine and bread, or at least I try. I couldn’t light the candles because they’re packed away and I can’t find them. Next year!

Leo Enjoys Rosh Hashona in a Famous High Chair


On Sunday we go the Minneapolis farmer's market and then head over to Surley Brewery. We eat bar snacks and sandwiches; Sarah joins us as Leo’s nap allows. We hang out, sampling beers, relaxing. When its time to head to the airport we stop at Izzy’s for ice cream on the way.

Making Faces at Grampa at Surley



It was a really nice visit. They are off to Japan in a couple weeks and will go to Hawaii with Kelsey’s family for Thanksgiving so we won’t see them again til Christmas. But Minnesota and Cally are much closer together than the West and East coasts, and now so many of us are in the same place too. It really is wonderful to have our family right here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...