Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What's Blooming on Shore Drive - July 1st Edition





In Missouri the month of June is summertime. It gets hot and muggy and everything is in full bloom. In Texas, heck, May is summertime, and sometimes even April. But in New England June is still spring. This has been difficult for me to get used to. I start to get anxious because some of the plants that would be blooming if I were still in Missouri are just not ready. I start to think they aren't going to bloom for some reason, forgetting that in New England summer doesn't really start until July.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was bemoaning the pause in blooms in my garden. Lots of things were ALMOST blooming...




....but many things were not. Then all of a sudden this week, the summer flowers started to show their pretty faces.


I have Monarda....




Coreopsis.....



Daylilies.....



Lavender.....



And Hostas....




....all starting to bloom.


The wild blackberries are even starting to form fruit.




The first year we were here we tried picking them, but they are so small and seedy, its really not worth the trouble. Now we leave them for the birds, and wait for the blueberries!


I even have a few very teeny tomatoes!





That's another thing that is difficult to adjust to. By June in Missouri the lettuce has bolted, and the cucumbers, beans and tomatoes are going great guns. By the first weeks of July I may even harvest a tomato or two.

But in New England I am still getting lots of lettuce and snow peas. I'm not complaining, its just different. By mid-August we will be up to our ears in beans and cucumbers, and Lee will be subsisting primarily on BLTs. That's not a bad thing, we just need to be patient!



And in the meantime I'll continue to enjoy my flowers as they progress throughout the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...