Monday, May 13, 2013

What's Blooming on Shore Drive - May 10th Edition

I think I'm starting a new little project within my blog. I did a post last week showing some of the plants that were currently blooming along my driveway. I've decided to do another one of those posts this week, and maybe weekly, for awhile anyway. My yard looks really beautiful right now and I'd like to share it with you! Plus it makes me practice with my camera....



My lilacs are almost ready to burst into bloom. I took a class on pruning last year and pruned my tall scraggly bushes some last fall. It already seems to have made a difference. I have a lot more blooms this year, and I'm going to prune them again after they finish blooming.



This is a container garden I made in a class a couple of years ago. In the fall I put it in the garden shed to protect it from the weather and then once things have warmed up a bit I take it out again. It worked beautifully last year, so I put it in the shed again last fall....and then completely forgot about it! I suddenly remembered a few days ago, found it in the back of the shed, and set it outside. The plants in it looked very anemic, tall and pale, straining toward the light. In only a day, really, the biggest plant sent up a strong, vigorous shoot. The smaller plants still look kind of iffy, but now, a few days after I took this picture, they're looking better too. It lives again, in spite of me. And no, I don't know what these plants are. I should look them up, I guess.


Strawberries! Lots of blooms this year, its going to be a bumper crop. The people who built this house put these plants in and I thank them. I just put a fence around the strawberry patch, however, because Cosmo eats strawberries, and I don't want to share!



Clematis! Large pink blossoms, due in the next couple of weeks, and then smaller whiter blossoms later in the summer.




Wild columbine....isn't it beautiful?





The itty bitty Japanese Maple I bought at the Salem Garden Club sale last year survived the winter very well. 



This is the shade garden I created last year along the driveway. It really looks promising right now, if only I can keep the deer and rabbit repellant applied sufficiently....



Bleeding hearts, pink and white....

Solomon Seal...


....and last but not least a little bulb called Summer Snowflake, Leucojun Aestivium (yes of course I had to look that up). I love the little green markings on the petals.

What's growing in your garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...