Monday, April 23, 2012

Missouri Botanic Gardens

About a month ago I went to St. Louis to visit my mother. The weather was very warm, as it has been in most of the US this spring. It was late March, but the weather seemed like mid-May, sunny and downright hot at times.

My mother said she wanted to go to the Botanic Gardens. That sounded like a fun idea to me. I hadn't been there for a long time, many years in fact. I could remember going there as a kid. They had this round, tropical greenhouse with lots of exotic plants called the Climatron, and I remember thinking that was pretty neat. You could go in there and pretend you were in some exotic place far away.

But on that day in late March my  mother and I didn't bother with the Climatron. The Botanic Garden grounds were simply spectacular. There was no need to go inside to pretend that you were in some exotic place. The gardens looked like the very best gardens that we saw in Japan. It really was the most beautiful display of flowers I have ever seen. And just think, I was in plain old St. Louis, my home town!

Here are some of my favorite pictures that I took that day. I took all of these pictures with my phone, since I forgot to bring my camera, but they still came out surprisingly good. Really it would have been difficult to take bad pictures of all of those beautiful flowers.

You can see a bit of the Climatron in this picture

This is the gate to the Chinese Garden


The dogwoods were in bloom





The Azaleas were so beautiful


This is the small private cemetery where the Shaw family is buried





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...